Monday, September 26, 2011

RIP Wangari Maathai

tumblr_ls4u8gFbBm1qcerqgo1_500

I woke up to unsettling news today: The death of Wangari Maathi. For a budding environmentalist like myself, mama Maathi was not only an inspiration but a role model. Her fearless environmental and humanitarian work in Africa and the world at large is truly unmatched. Death is, ironically, part of life. As cruel as it sounds, we are doing ourselves a great disfavour if we think otherwise. I'm heaps gutted that mama Maathi is no longer with us but I'm happy too, happy that she left us with so much legacy. She left us with the reality of what we are, what we have done, what we are doing and most importantly, what we could do. Mama Maathi, you have been through a lot. Go now and rest in peace. We love you.





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I can actually say that I needed to see that story of the hummingbird. I noticed that your focus has shifted from mere world traveler to someone who helps the environment as he goes along. I also remember that you are a grad student. Are you current studies related to the environment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Mockingbird. I'm a grad student in a different discipline but the environment is and will always be a paramount concern in my life.

    ReplyDelete